Description of Investigation
On visiting the site over 5 workdays, I observed employee performance, client services and management operation, as well as, conducted employee interviews and client, employee surveys. Upon arriving at the Roanoke branch, observation was immediate and notes were taken of the favorable business dealings and those, which needed correction. Analysis of client surveys completed before, and during my visit, along with employee interviews, have helped in my determination of the source of the recent chaos within the Roanoke branch.
A 30-minute interview was conducted with the employees during their lunch breaks; whether they had lodged a complaint or not. I needed to hear everyone’s outlook on the standing of the Roanoke branch to gain complete insight, draw conclusions and make a plan. The client surveys were very informative and significant in my recommendations on adjusting the operation procedures.
My investigation identified the following problems:
1. Compensation is not being given as dictated by salaried employee contracts. Personal day offs aren’t getting approved under standard protocol by branch managers. Employees unqualified for personal time off (PTO) days have not received extra two days compensation for longer hours worked. Lack of enthusiasm because compensation is ineffective, led to lower morale and less productivity.
2. Art directors have not been effectively communicating with the graphic designers; this has resulted in prolonged completion of projects.
3. Art directors are modifying the graphic designers work without discussion; this has upset our clients because they aren’t receiving the finished product in a timely fashion. Also, employee morale is affected because collaborative efforts aren’t being made by the art directors.
4. Management has not received traditional procedure and customer satisfaction training; this created unhappy clientele and dropped our customer satisfaction rating.
5. Account services managers took new accounts without considering the current workload: this accrued more work than the employees could handle.
In brief, branch #2 of Phoenix Advertising has fallen below the level of production and client satisfaction. The high moral and positive attitude that once prevailed has dropped and has constituted this circumstance due to lack of compensation, communication, training and work overload. The Roanoke branch was the leading advertising company in Virginia with branch #2; we now trail behind our competitors in both production and customer service.
1. Approach with employee compensation must be controlled: Salaried employees must be given PTO days as stated in their contract. Salaried employees, who haven’t qualified for PTO days, will be granted meal allowance. Employees should regain some assurance once this is rectified.
2. Art directors are required to meet daily with graphic designers to discuss current project changes, updates and final outcome. This will reduce extended work hours and increase client satisfaction for product delivery.
3. Art directors will not modify work without consulting graphic designers and clients. Product achievement is a team effort and input on a whole should help employee attitude improve.
4. Add on more part-time workers to assist in the reduction of the overall tasks at hand of our full-time employees, especially during peak seasons.
5. Management is required to attend traditional procedure and customer service training immediately. The insurance, that staff is being supervised appropriately and customer satisfaction returns to accustomed levels will alleviate major concerns.
6. Account services managers must consult the art directors, graphic artists and previous clients before taking on any more new accounts. Also, the managers must attend the training courses given by Phoenix Advertising to understand how to properly conduct assistance.
7. Reassess the situation in six months. If productivity hasn’t increased, employee problems haven’t decreased, and customer satisfaction doesn’t rise, hiring another art director and account executive will be essential. Also customer satisfaction training will be mandatory for all staff a second time.